Pages

Friday, October 23, 2009

Baked Pork Chops with Parmesan-Sage Crust



Baked Pork Chops with Parmesan-Sage Crust
adapted slightly from bon app├ętit, February 2001

Ingredients

1 1/2 cups fresh breadcrumbs
1 cup freshly grated Parmigiano-Reggiano
2 to 3 tablespoons minced fresh sage leaves
1 teaspoon grated lemon peel
2 large eggs
1/4 cup all purpose flour
4 bone-in center-cut pork loin chops (each about 1 inch thick)
2 tablespoons butter
2 tablespoons olive oil
Lemon wedges

Method

Preheat oven to 425°F. Mix breadcrumbs, cheese, sage and lemon peel in pie dish. Whisk eggs in medium bowl to blend. Place flour on plate; season generously with salt and pepper. Coat pork chops on both sides with flour; shake off excess. Dip chops into eggs, then coat on both sides with breadcrumb mixture.

Melt butter with oil in heavy large ovenproof skillet over medium-high heat. Add pork chops to skillet and cook until golden brown, about 2 minutes per side. Transfer skillet with pork to oven. Bake until pork chops are crisp on the outside and meat thermometer inserted into pork registers 145°F, about 20 minutes. Let rest for 5 minutes to finish cooking.

Transfer pork chops to plates. Garnish with lemon wedges and serve.

NOTES

Love these so, so much. So easy, so damn good and they smell amazing while cooking. I've also tried them with chops half as thick, cutting down on the cooking time a bit.

23 comments:

Vicki said...

Hi Melissa! I was just recently wondering about you, when Reader spit out 11 posts from you, good to have you back on my radar!

Those chops look delicious, but it would be a struggle to get Hubby to eat them, given the sage. Think I'll try anyway :)

Melissa said...

Thanks for reading Vicki. The chops are delicious, believe me.

Hope all is well with you in beautiful SD.

Samsmama said...

OMG!!! I just logged on to Blogger and saw all your posts and may I just say, HOORAY!!! I'm so glad you're back and am excited to check out all these recipes. Look forward to many more yummy dishes to come!

Seriously, so happy!

OXOX
Mary

Melissa said...

Thanks Mary!! :D

cardiogirl said...

I heartily second Vicki and Samsmama, welcome back! Yay!

Now on to the food. I've heard that chicken is more flavorful when cooked on the bone. Is the same true of pork?

It's a solid bet that I'll never make these chops, but I'm still curious. However, I did make some pork chops from your recipe a long time ago and my husband said it was the best thing I've ever made in 15 years of marriage.

So maybe I do need to make these.

p.s. YAY! You're back!

Heidi Robb said...

Melissa,

It is great to see you back in fine cooking form - I am sensing a new 'joie' to your style - happy in the kitchen. Fantastic!

Hugs,

Heidi

Paula Dines said...

Lovely. Simply lovely.

Paula<3

katie said...

Back in business!! Woo Hoo!!

SaintTigerlily said...

Best Monday morning present ever? Yes. Best Monday morning present EVER.

Making these pork chops this week for sure. Great, simple layout.

Love the bag, love the shoes, love it all.

Jen said...

I just made these last week. I had them from your old blog in my google reader. I used panko bread crumbs and coated them twice. They were amazing

JennDZ - The Leftover Queen said...

I am still drooling over these chops, Melissa! :) They look teriffic!

Cali said...

yay! yay! yay!!!!!! i'm so happy you decided to reopen your blog!! woohoo!

Melissa said...

CG, that can't be true or else all the belly meats, like bacon, wouldn't be so damn good.

I remember you posted about that - and, if I'm not mistaken, these WERE the chops you made. This is a repost of sorts. I'm going through old stuff and posting what I loved best, and revamping the pictures while I'm at it.

Heidi - I am definitely doing this on my terms. Thanks for being there. *Hugs* right back.

Paula - :)

katie - Woot!

Blythe - Thanks babe! And you, YOU, of all the pork chop loving people, need to make these.

Jen - That's great to hear! I'm glad they worked out so well for you. I'm making some more myself, on Wednesday. So easy, but with a big payoff in flavor.

Jenn - Thanks honey!

Cali - Me too. :)

Lisa@The Cutting Edge of Ordinary said...

Seeing you here again makes me happy. Welcome back friend.

Rose said...

Where the heck have you been!? Haven't seen a post in a long time! This looks AMAZING!

Sweta said...

Oh yum-they look SO good!!!!

elmomonster said...

YAAY! You're back!!!! Me happy!

elmomonster said...

And I want that pork chop for breakfast!

The Short (dis)Order Cook said...

Welcome back! I see you're giving the recipe you recommended to me for my pork chops a while back. :-)

SaintTigerlily said...

Guess what I'm making AGAIN tonight! (At The Boss' request mind you, he who Never Before Requested pork chops until a certain recipe came into our lives.)

Do you realize how much you have improved the rest of my marriage with this single post?

I CAN HAVE PORK CHOPS WHENEVER I LIKE! WOOOOOOOOOOO!

Melissa said...

Heck yeah!!!! We LOVE these. I am so glad The Boss does too. :D

Cary said...

Yum. I love a good pork chop. Gonna try this version.

Stupid question: why breadcrumbs AND flour? Sorry, semi-noob here.

Melissa said...

Cary, in the words of my wise friend Rebecca at Foode with Family:

"You do the flour first to make the egg stick to the meat. Then the crumbage sticks to the egg. That gives you that 'extra crispy' type crust..."

She said it more easily and succinctly than I would have. :)