Pages

Monday, November 8, 2010

Barbecue Sauce




Barbecue Sauce

Ingredients

1 large yellow onion, chopped
4 cloves garlic, minced
1 tablespoon grapeseed or other neutral oil
1 cup tomato paste
1 cup Dijon mustard
3/4 cup apple cider vinegar
3/4 cup honey
3/4 cup hoisin sauce
1/2 cup Worcestershire sauce
1/2 cup low-sodium soy sauce
2 tablespoons New Mexican chili powder
1 tablespoon ground cumin
1/2 tablespoon crushed red pepper flakes

Method

In a large saucepan on medium low heat, saute the onions and garlic in the oil for 8 to 10 minutes, until the onions are translucent but *not* browned. Add the rest of the ingredients. Simmer uncovered on low heat for 30 minutes.

Remove from heat and let cool slightly, then strain through a fine mesh sieve, pushing down on the solids to get all the juices through. This can take a while.

Use immediately, refrigerate in an airtight jar for a month or so, or freeze in cup portions for a few months.

NOTES

I have barbecue sauce issues. I think 90 percent of sauces I've ever tasted are too sweet and so avoid eating much American barbecue.  This sauce, however, is an adapted-over-time early recipe of mine and definitely focuses more on the tangy and spicy elements.  And we love it.

8 comments:

Jenn AKA The Leftover Queen said...

I always like a goof BBQ Sauce and haven't made one at home that totally knocks my socks off! This sounds like a good start. Although my soy allergies keeps me from making it straight from the recipe, It looks like a winner!

Melissa said...

Hm. What do you replace soy with? If you can do it, it really is a great sauce. I really do not like most - this is my go to.

Lisa@The Cutting Edge of Ordinary said...

This sounds great Melissa. You know I'm a wimp when it comes to heat, so I would make this is tame it a bit, lol. That's what I love about sharing recipes, you take it and you make it your own. I'm so trying this. Oh...one last thing, I love Ina. The woman knows her stuff.

Melissa said...

That she does. And the elements are all hers! I didn't change the fundamental ingredients here, I just scaled back the sweet elements and cut the oil in half.

Aggie said...

I'm with ya on the southern too sweet. I avoid the sweet bbq sauces...I have to try this. I don't make my own bbq sauce very often, not sure why?

Melissa said...

I always think I would like the Carolina sauce a bit better - it's tangier? I think? I am no barbecue expert. All I know is I love this sauce and it WORKS. :)

Sippity Sup said...

I am so in with you on the sweet BBQ sauce. I think there is room for broader tastes and this looks like a winner. GREG

Rebecca said...

I've been lucky enough to have this barbecue sauce actually made BY Melissa and I loved it so much I've made it myself twice since finishing off the jar from her. Do make this soon if you haven't yet!