Pages

Monday, June 4, 2012

Egg Bake


Update: This post used to be about Breakfast Sandwiches, but I realized since we never eat these on toast anymore, only a larger portion of the eggs themselves, that I needed to come back and modify it to be about the bake.

This is more of a ratio than a recipe: 2 eggs per serving, everything else is negotiable. The way I usually do it is I make breakfast for me and Steve on Saturday or Sunday that includes sausage, spinach and eggs and then use parts of those elements for this recipe while I'm at it. I also only ever do a small recipe because we have chorizo and egg burritos and baked oatmeal to eat during the week, too. I also only put spinach on my side and not his.


It's also totally a make-it-your-own thing, an idea to be played with, as my friend Sarah did by making it with ham, cheese and asparagus, and as I have done by using broccoli or kale instead of spinach:


Use what you like, just don't overdo it.

Egg Bake (Make-Ahead Breakfast)
with much appreciation to Rebecca at Foodie with Family

Ingredients

For 4 portions, completely adjustable at a 1:1 ratio:

Nonstick cooking spray
4 ounces breakfast sausage (I use my homemade version)
8 ounces chopped cooked spinach
8 eggs
2 tablespoons milk
freshly ground black pepper and salt to taste

Method

Preheat oven to 350°F.

Heat a medium skillet over medium heat. Add the sausage, breaking it into small chunks with a wooden spoon as it browns. Cook until no longer pink. Remove from heat and set aside.

Spray a small baking dish or pie dish with non-stick cooking spray. Be sure to get the corners and sides well, too. Evenly distribute the sausage and spinach over the bottom of the prepared baking dish.

Crack all of the eggs into a large mixing bowl. Add the milk and freshly ground black pepper and salt to taste. Whisk to beat together until the mixture is an even color. Pour gently and evenly over the contents of the baking dish.

Bake for 25 minutes or until the eggs are set in the center (no longer liquidy, but they can still have just a little shimmy to them) and golden brown around the edges.

Remove the pan from the oven and let cool for 10 minutes before using a thin spatula to run around the edges and loosen the cooked egg. Using two spatulas, gently pull out the egg bake in once piece onto a cutting board. Allow it to cool for 10 more minutes before slicing into 4 pieces. Eat immediately or store in the refrigerator for up to a week.

NOTES

Rebecca has changed our lives once again. The baked oatmeal we so love came from her recipes and so did this one. I keep hollering to her about how grateful I am, but I could never say it enough. She has changed the way we live/eat/function day-to-day. I truly had no idea what I was going to do about feeding us anything in the morning at our desks aside from fruit. Now I have TWO blissful breakfasts to alternate weekly. So happy. Sooooo happy.

4 comments:

Amy said...

I didn't remember this from Bec, but then I clicked on her link and remember I actually have that pinned to make. See, so it was on my bucket list of the never ending recipes I want to try. I'll just need to move it up the list now! I like your addition of sausage...

Melissa said...

Amy, you know Steve wasn't going to have it without sausage. ;) I bet you and the kids would love these!

Aggie said...

Ok, so cute that Steve sent that pic. Love it.

This is genius! I never would think to make the eggs in such a large batch like that, and refridgerate it for easy breakfasts. It would make a pretty fantastic lunch too.

Thanks for sharing, my wheels are turning!

Melissa said...

Easy and healthy ready made breakfasts. Perfect for the active. ;) I made them again yesterday and they really are foolproof and delicious.