Pages

Saturday, November 3, 2012

Chorizo and Egg Burritos


Chorizo and Egg Burritos
(make ahead)

Ingredients

8 ounces chorizo (I use my homemade version)
8 eggs, beaten
1/2 cup shredded cheddar (optional)
8 to 10 flour tortillas (large taco size), depending on how much you want in your burritos

Method

Heat large skillet over medium heat. Add the chorizo and let it sizzle for about 5 minutes or until cooked through (my homemade version releases quite a bit of liquid, but it all cooks up in the end).


Push the chorizo to one side of the pan and pour in the eggs.


Let the eggs sit for a few minutes, then stir to combine with chorizo. Continue to stir together until eggs are completely cooked.


Remove from heat and sprinkle the 1/2 cup cheese on top (if using).


Set up the egg pan next to your stack of tortillas.


Transfer a chunk of the chorizo and egg mixture to an open tortilla. I try for about 1/12 per, obviously, but don't measure exactly.


Roll them into small burritos (fold one vertical side in, then the other, then roll roll roll, tuck in the sides) until all the mixture and tortillas have been used.


Store in Ziploc freezer bags. To reheat, place on a paper towel and microwave on high for 1 minute. If you've let it defrost just a bit, start at 40 seconds and add more time if needed.

NOTES

I am not nearly the chorizo and egg fan that Steve is, but WOW, these are delicious. Steve eats his with a little chunky mild salsa and I eat mine with drops of habanero hot sauce. Fantastic either way.

I've been wanting to try these for quite some time now so that I would have a third breakfast option in addition to my Baked Oatmeal and Egg Bake. These could not have been a more perfect choice. Thrilled.

2 comments:

Amy said...

Totally didn't see this in my feed the other day. Hm? Anyway, I'm not a huge fan of chorizo, but I would love these with regular ground sausage. So simple. Used to make breakfast burritos all the time with beans and rice, etc. Miss them.

Aggie said...

I love chorizo. And hardly ever cook with it. You are so good with make ahead breakfasts!!! This is making me hungry.