Pages

Wednesday, January 16, 2013

Chicken Fried Rice


Chicken Fried Rice

Ingredients

3 cups cooked Jasmine rice (or yield from 1 cup dry)
1 1/4 pounds boneless, skinless chicken thighs, cut into bite-sized pieces and seasoned with salt and pepper
1 large carrot, diced (about 2/3 cup)
1/2 large yellow onion, chopped
2/3 cup frozen corn
2/3 cup frozen peas
6 scallions, chopped
4 cloves garlic, minced
1-inch piece of fresh ginger, peeled and minced
4 eggs
4 teaspoons sesame oil, divided
4 tablespoons soy sauce
1 tablespoon oyster sauce
1 8-ounce can peeled, sliced water chestnuts


Method

Whisk eggs with 2 teaspoons oil in a small dish and set aside.

Heat 1 teaspoon oil in a large wok or skillet over medium-high heat. Add seasoned chicken and stir fry until cooked through, about 6 or 7 minutes. Remove to a plate.

Heat remaining teaspoon oil in the wok, then add diced carrots and chopped onion. Stir fry until moderately soft, about 3 minutes. Add the frozen corn, frozen peas and green onions. Stir fry until tender, just 1 to 2 minutes, then add garlic and ginger and cook for 30 more seconds. Push vegetables to the side of the wok and add eggs and sesame oil mixture into the center and scramble.

Lower the heat to medium. Add cooked chicken, cooked rice, soy sauce, oyster sauce and water chestnuts to the pan and toss well to combine. Serve immediately.


NOTES

Fried rice is easily my favorite old junk food/drunk food meal. When I lived in SoCal, I had access to all kinds of really good Vietnamese, Chinese and Thai spots all within a couple of miles and boy did I indulge. Frequently. After turning my attention this past year to cooking a bit more healthfully, I pushed fried rice out of my mind. I simply assumed it would never be a possibility again. Thankfully, I was wrong!

This recipe, adapted quite a bit from a base recipe over at Iowa Girl Eats (love. her.), only uses just over a tablespoon of oil so you get all the delicious without the grease. It's amazing.

Cooking notes:

1. You are certainly welcome to use frozen diced carrots along with the frozen peas and corn, but I always have frozen bags of the latter two items and fresh carrots, so that's how I did it. If you use a mix, just add in about 2 cups along with the green onions.

2. For the eggs, make sure you create a ring of vegetables around the edges and pour the egg and oil mixture in the middle - and be patient. Scramble in small circles with your wooden spoon and let them get cooked before mixing in to the rest of the pan. If you move them around too much with the vegetables before they are cooked, you will only end up with egg bits and not big fluffy chunks. I learned that the first time. I also know it's much easier to achieve this when you use less eggs... I just don't want to!

4 comments:

Amy said...

I love fried rice. I made her recipe shortly after she posted it, along with so many others. It was good, but didn't strike me as anything different than what I've made in the past. They all seem to be bland. I bet I'd like your version better :D

Melissa said...

I bet you would. ;) You know I adore her, but this one needed some jazzing up. More egg, more chicken, onion, carrot, ginger, water chestnuts and oyster sauce were all added to mine. And spicy chile garlic sauce for serving, of course!

Amy said...

The added oyster sauce is genius. And I love the idea of the chili garlic sauce. Just a touch of heat would be killer.

I seem to crave it every few months, so next time, Melissa I'll follow your recipe. I know it will be great. Because you have taste buds ;p

coastrat said...

This looks really good, Melissa!

Just wanted to say Hi and hope you are doing well. It's been awhile....

Take care!

Coast Rat